Saint Martin switches to thermal power
Bouygues Energies & Services has responded to the growing demand for energy in the
French West Indies with the construction of an extension to the EDF power plant on the Caribbean island of Saint Martin. Since 2016, this new plant has ensured the supply of an additional 25 MW of power to the French overseas territory.
months’ of work
MW of additional power
Bouygues Energies & Services provided a complete turnkey design & build proposal for EDF’s new thermal power plant in Saint Martin:
- Feasibility study: in partnership with EDF teams
- Design: use of 3D technology
- Construction: Works spanning two years
Commissioning: supervision of the plant is carried out using a SCADA system. One of the project’s key logistical challenges was the transport and installation of the diesel generators, each weighing 175 tonnes. Bouygues Energies & Services’ proven expertise in delicate operations in isolated regions (notably in Africa, with Congo’s ‘energy boulevard’ project and the Gabon interconnected power grid) was a decisive factor.
The project involved up to 150 employees at peak times to:
- build three new Hyundai diesel generators, each capable of producing 9MW
- install urea, ventilation, extraction, noise-reduction and exhaust systems
- install and connect eight transformers
- install a state-of-the-art SCADA (Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition) system for remote monitoring and control
Bouygues Energies & Services has made a performance and quality commitment to:
- ensure a 40% improvement in energy performance for the French part of the island
- make neutral choices in terms of equipment supply
- reduce the environmental impact (a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions)
- respect European environmental standards
See our video about the Galisbay power plant in Saint Martin, made by EDF:
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- Our UK team has been selected by VIRTUSfor the turnkey delivery of its LONDON7A day of interactive discussion about diversity and inclusion strategy.Round table to discuss about national and European support for the hydrogen industry.Project Manager Aaron Yule will lead the team in charge of transforming Ashford's lighting.Official opening ceremony of the new North Mole thermal power plantAfter 1 year of work, the connected control centre of the OnDijon project was unveiledBecause preserving health and safety is and will remain the top priority.The Top Employers Institute acknowledges the quality of the company’s working conditions and its HR policies.Come and meet us to develop innovative energy solutions togetherHow is the OnDijon scheme progressing after one year ?The results of more than 3 years of work presented at the European Utility WeekThe international event on urban development.A successful handover had been completed for Phase 1 of VIRTUS Data Centres’ LONDON5 facility.
With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.Our goal : being innovative together.We will demonstrate that it is possible to put technology at the service of well-being!SIRO announces investment with joint venture to connect 10 towns to Its gigabit networkSmart management of public amenities will enable local authorities to improve their performance.
Mozambique faces electricity supply challenges due to limited infrastructure required to generate and evacuate power.Signing of a new contract with Equis, the first regional developer of renewable energiesAward for centralised technical management system of Marseille’s L2 bypassThe safety commission met on site and officially recommended that the building could open to the publicDelivery of 4 solar farms 100km to the north of BangkokNew latest-generation production site for a world leader in carbon fibre manufacturingAn exemplary project combining technical challenges, energy development and local involvementThree key aspects of the airport: operations centre, baggage and pass officeCreation and animation of dynamic trail of light showcasing 39 important sitesContract signed with Equis, leading developer of renewable energy in the region