O'MEGA1: FIRST FLOATING SOLAR POWER PLANT IN FRANCE
Piolenc, a town of 5,000 inhabitants located in the department of Vaucluse (France), is home to the first floating photovoltaic plant in France and the largest in Europe. We worked with our customer, Akuo Energy, who provided the floats. The project was a bold challenge: to float photovoltaic panels on the surface of a lake in an abandoned former quarry.
tonnes of CO2 avoided per year
An innovative concept
The original idea makes it possible to exploit an unused body of water by covering it with photovoltaic panels on about twenty hectares. The principle is the same as for floating pontoons installed at the seaside for temporary installations. These are plastic tanks, full of air, which keep the panels out of the water.
This power station with nearly 50,000 panels located on the artificial lake of a former quarry will produce the equivalent of the electricity consumption of the municipality of Piolenc over the year.
A human adventure
A pioneering project, the teams had to innovate and carry out numerous tests on all links in the construction chain before reaching an optimal result. An extraordinary project, rich in challenges, where technological prowess goes hand in hand with human commitment.
Discover the fabulous human adventure of this project in video:
Our latest case studies
- Construction of four solar farms to the north of Bangkok, Thailand.
- Thailand increases its energy capacity by building a solar farm with an output of 12,000 MWh
- Bouygues Energies & Services, BYME and VSL have handed over the biggest solar farm in South-East Asia to Helios Solar Energy Corporation. This large-scale project with a total output of 132 MWp will contribute to making up some of the chronic shortfall in the Philippines’ power production with renewable energy.Energy
- Thailand confirms its shift to green energy with this new contract
- Japan is now home to the world’s largest solar farmEnergy
- Making the most of Australian sunshine with three new solar farmsEnergy
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- A day of interactive discussion about diversity and inclusion strategy.Round table to discuss about national and European support for the hydrogen industry.Project Manager Aaron Yule will lead the team in charge of transforming Ashford's lighting.Official opening ceremony of the new North Mole thermal power plantAfter 1 year of work, the connected control centre of the OnDijon project was unveiledBecause preserving health and safety is and will remain the top priority.The Top Employers Institute acknowledges the quality of the company’s working conditions and its HR policies.Come and meet us to develop innovative energy solutions togetherHow is the OnDijon scheme progressing after one year ?The results of more than 3 years of work presented at the European Utility WeekThe international event on urban development.A successful handover had been completed for Phase 1 of VIRTUS Data Centres’ LONDON5 facility.
With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.Our goal : being innovative together.We will demonstrate that it is possible to put technology at the service of well-being!SIRO announces investment with joint venture to connect 10 towns to Its gigabit networkSmart management of public amenities will enable local authorities to improve their performance.
Mozambique faces electricity supply challenges due to limited infrastructure required to generate and evacuate power.Signing of a new contract with Equis, the first regional developer of renewable energiesAward for centralised technical management system of Marseille’s L2 bypassThe safety commission met on site and officially recommended that the building could open to the publicDelivery of 4 solar farms 100km to the north of BangkokNew latest-generation production site for a world leader in carbon fibre manufacturingAn exemplary project combining technical challenges, energy development and local involvementThree key aspects of the airport: operations centre, baggage and pass officeCreation and animation of dynamic trail of light showcasing 39 important sitesContract signed with Equis, leading developer of renewable energy in the region